What is Colocation?
Colocation is a service offered by private datacenters that are designed and operated in order to provide secure access to off-site servers. Among other things colocation services include:
- The leasing of partial, full or multiple server cabinets and cages – configured as ¼, ½ and full-rack cabinets;
- A secured and robust connection to the ISP’s network and physical infrastructure;
- Monitoring of server performance and status;
- Highly secured cabinet access accessible only to the owner of the cabinet(s);
- Unfettered access by the client to the hardware for routine maintenance and use (manual restarts are available as a service), and;
- Dedicated office, meeting and lunchroom space for use by client and client teams.
Simply put, colocation services allow business clients to take advantage of scale and superior datacenter infrastructure and connectivity at a reduced capital expense. Notwithstanding the savings and convenience, our colocation clients retain autonomous control over their servers. Some benefits to colocation customers include:
- Environmental control, such as constant temperature and humidity maintenance, and air filtration for dust and other fine particulars;
- Efficient fire suppression and security systems;
- Redundant power sources and uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) backup;
- Significant and scalable bandwidth provided via multiple Internet Service Providers;
- System monitoring and technical services;
- Scaled firewalls, data repositories and attack mitigation.
Using colocation services is an effective way to protect against business interruption, achieve disaster recovery objectives, ensures business continuity and scalable network governance at a fraction of the cost and without relinquishing data control.
Whether you’re a small business with limited space and limited IT resources, or a larger corporation with a team of staff specialists, HDC prides itself on being the professional choice for colocation services. We are committed to upholding our vision, maintaining our values and meeting the standards for data security and liability management required by our customers.
Our facility is easy to get to and we pride ourselves on being approachable. Biometrics, government identification and swipe cards secure our facility. It is also monitored 24-hours per day and 7-days per week. Our environment is controlled and monitored for high and low excursions. We utilize multiple N+1 UPS and a 750kVA backup generator such that your critical data and IT infrastructure are safeguarded, even in the event of a major power outage.
No matter what your organization requires, Halton Data Center has the colocation solutions suited to your needs. From a ¼, ½ or full cabinet solution to several racks and rows, our facility has the services that your business requires. We understand that every business must remain connected in this mobile world in order to remain competitive. Halton Data Center maintains a fully managed IP network with redundant ports integrated into each colocation cabinet.
Halton Data Center utilizes multiple upstream tier 1 carriers using BGP to back its 99.99% connectivity guarantee. Peering with major Internet providers, such as Rogers and Bell, ensures continued accessibility. As a differentiating point, Halton Data Center also provides a direct connection to Canada’s premier telecommunications hub located in Toronto, Ontario at 151 Front Street. This provides a greater level of connectivity insurance without the need for costly independent third-party connections.